- Coatue Management is competing with some of the most powerful venture capital firms in Silicon Valley for a piece of the hottest startups, and is winning.
- So far in 2020, the hedge fund wrote checks in 14 unicorn startups, or companies that are valued at more than $1 billion. They include Airtable, Rivian Automotive, Chime, and Impossible Foods.
- In unicorn deals where it participated, Coatue led the round half of the time, according to a Business Insider review of PitchBook data. It indicates that startups see the value of working with the fund.
- Coatue, run by Philippe Laffont and his brother Thomas Laffont, did not respond to a request for comment.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A hedge fund is flying high over the startup world.
Coatue Management, a type of fund that raises outside capital to invest in a smorgasbord of asset types, has written checks into