- Garrett Dodd is a 22-year-old welder in the North Dakota oil fields based in Watford City, North Dakota.
- He’s been unemployed since February.
- In the meantime, he’s started doing photography and media production, but he says he’s not done with welding just yet.
- This is his story, as told to Will Meyer.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
I moved to Watford City, North Dakota, from Fort Worth, Texas, in 2017.
I was part of a very active welding program in high school, and I had a really good teacher who got me interested in it. I started welding right out of high school. I worked for a city for a little while; I thought that’s where I was going to retire at one point in time. And thankfully