What is a Personal Representative?
A Personal Representative is the person appointed by the court who handles the probate. The Personal Representative is responsible for all of the following:
- Gathering property owned by the person who died.
- Notifying creditors and heirs or devisees.
- Handling debts and taxes.
- Wrapping up the final business affairs of the person who died.
- Transferring property owned by the person who died to the right persons.
- Filing any documents required by the state or federal government.
- Filing all documents required by the court.
- Closing the probate when everything is done.
You can watch a very short presentation on the Role of the Personal Representative.
The Forms and Instructions page has links to specific information about